Monday, March 11, 2013

Meet a PNB Ambassador: Tabi Tabe Tabi, Technology Entrepreneur


Tabi Tabe Tabi



My name is Tabi Tabe Tabi, born in Mamfe, South West Region of Cameroon.

I am a technology entrepreneur based in Johannesburg, South Africa. I am founder and co-founder of various companies ranging from Media to Telecoms. I am also involved in the aviation industry with affiliation to K5aviation.com.

Besides experience from friends born to parents from the North West Region, I knew little about Bamenda. My knowledge was mostly influenced by politics since Bamenda is the seat of the SDF party. My first real exposure to Bamenda occurred around the year 2005 and the experience was one of mixed feelings; excitement and sadness. I had more questions than answers.

The first thing that caught my attention is the beauty of the city and its landscape. As I interacted with  people, I found them hard working with a strong sense of community. I also found the people to be creative in the field of art and creating solutions to engineering problems. Most of these people had little or no formal training in engineering or creative art, yet they could do so much.

Sadly, I observed – like in most parts of Cameroon – that people spend more on alcohol consumption than it is necessary. Also, I noticed that most businesses were not sustainable and could not improve the lives of the masses. This, because they are mostly traders, who add very little value to the goods they sell. Businesses creating values were the minority.

During my second visit to Bamenda, I had one nagging question: how could I collaborate with the people of the city and the region to make a difference. The answer? Build a model city that would represent what the “New Bamenda” could look like and place it in a city center for all to see. I wish that it inspires people to join in the creation of a model city for the rest of the country. Such a project requires dreamers and doers. Bamenda is full of such people and they all know from first hand experience, the value power of the collective action.

If we can build community churches and schools, then it is possible to build a new Bamenda based on a model that will create new revenue streams for the local council, create jobs, stimulate entrepreneurship and a new economy based on value creation rather than value consumption.

This dream has always been in the back on my mind waiting for the right circumstances. It seems that time is now, with “Project New Bamenda”. I will be glad to bring my experience and expertise in turning dreams and ideas into reality. My hope is that the people of Bamenda and the region will mobilize from all corners of the grass roots, to support an initiative such as Project New Bamenda and adopt the slogan “We Own This Town”. Such attitude will transform Bamenda to a major economic hub in Cameroon and the place to be for people who “make things happen.”


One Last One

My favorite food from Bamenda is Achu with no doubt. My favorite place is Up Station Hill. It provides the most breathtaking view of the city and a place where creative minds go to catch inspiration and work.




No comments:

Post a Comment