Thursday, March 14, 2013

Meet a PNB Ambassador: Joannes Paulus Yimbesalu, Research Scientist & Founder HOPEFCC


Joannes P. Yimbesalu


I am called Joannes Paulus Yimbesalu and originally from the beautiful tribe of Kom in the North West Region of Cameroon.

I am currently based in the USA where I work at the Medical College of Wisconsin as a Research Scientist doing research on Lung Cancer.
I spent most of my childhood days in Bamenda and what admires me most about this part of the country is the originality and the diverse culture and language of the people. I try to preserve my identity as a typical ‘Bikom’ boy from Bamenda anywhere I find myself especially during conferences I attend.

To me, I think we are who we are today because of our identity and as Cameroonians in general and North Westerners in particular, hence we should all strive to preserve our culture and I strongly urge that we all should find plight in showcasing our culture in any little way where ever we find ourselves in any part of the globe. 
Anytime I put on my Bamenda regalia commonly called “Toghu”, people admire me and I am proud of it. What I love about the people of Bamenda is their simplicity and their love for family and community. They are very welcoming people and the first thing you hear from anyone you meet along the way is “ma pikin welcome and hope say you dey fine”. Even in their pain and suffering, they are still able to give you that sweet smile which is very unique.

I am the founder of a Non-for-Profit Governmental Organization called Hope for Children Cameroon (HOPEFCC), a common initiative group with head office in Njinikom in Boyo Division. HOPEFCC has been existing since 2009 when it started as a charity organization aimed at helping underprivileged children especially orphans and the disabled in this part of the country.

Currently, we work in all three subdivisions of Boyo Division namely Belo, Njinikom and Fundong and in each subdivision we work with one primary school. These schools are located in enclave areas making it very difficult to access especially during the rainy season. These disadvantaged children lack access to basic education and as such are left behind since they either have no close relative to look after them or send them to school.
HOPEFCC is therefore bridging the gap between these children and access to education by providing them with basic education, improving health and well-being through the practice of adequate hygiene and sanitation as well as the promoting the quality of life of these children so that at the end of the day, they would attained their full potential and become responsible citizens of tomorrow. Education open doors for development and it’s the only took no one can take from you.

Project New Bamenda is a wonderful initiative and I want to use this opportunity to give a shout out to the founders and partners of this great initiative as it is a way of bringing sons and daughters of this great region together so that with one voice we can all contribute ideas that foster the growth and development of the region.

Bamenda is very different now as it was ten years ago with the construction of new roads, new infrastructures and this has greatly promoted development in the area through the creation of small businesses, and timely transportation of farm produce to the market and this has greatly boast in the economy especially. Through the sale of these agricultural produce, lives have changed, women can now capable of taking care of their families and sending their children to good schools.

Communities that empower women by taking part in decision making procedures, promoting their fundamental rights, preventing violence against women and girls  and child trafficking open doors for development and this has proven to be the best approach in ending the cycle of poverty. 
We all need to help one another as we climb through the ladder of success.


One Last One

My most favorite dish is no other dish than the famous and royal ‘kati kati’ but I must say fufu and eru comes next





No comments:

Post a Comment