Friday, April 19, 2013

Bamenda calls…Let's all join Simonie Achu in answering to Bamenda's desperate call for change.


Simonie A. Achu-Mpondo


I call her home. Home, not because I have made her a place of residence, but home because she gives me my fondest memories. I go away from her for as long as I always do, but I sigh with contentment each time I drive in. Her picturesque view from the station hill is unique. I can actually see my house from there and how that makes me excited. Somehow she seems to have stayed the same. At least I still feel the same warmth that comes from her bosom. Her lights still glow at the same spots like time never changes. She is familiar territory; very little beats that. Today, I dare call her home.

Over the last 2 years, I have made more than ten trips to Bamenda. Looking back, it seems my trips were all planned like a fast track routine.                                                                                                                                                             

It’s a four to five hour drive from Douala, where I now work and stay.  That means leaving Douala by 4 a.m. gets me to Bamenda by 9 a.m. at the latest. Usually, it is an event to attend that brings me to Bamenda in the first place. After attending my event, I may ‘hang out’ that evening for a couple of hours only to leave again by 4 a.m for Douala the next morning.

Now that I look back at these marathon visits to my beloved Bamenda, I feel embarrassed and so self conscious. How come I make so little effort to spend more time back home? Does anyone feel guilty of this as I do?

Well, this is not intended to come across like someone looking for partners in crime, but it is for a fact that so many of us in this generation are guilty of “home negligence”. True, we have our jobs to protect and families to take care of, but if we can take a Friday off to go to Kribi for the weekend, we can do same for Bamenda. What is it we are afraid to see, do or meet that is so horrible if we stayed longer? If we had to accuse this town of something, what would that be? No “classy” places to hang out in? No recreational spots? Too many people seemingly just lined up to ask for help? What? Sad to say but our generation can take very little credit for the growth of Abakwa. If anything, we should be charged! We can get out of this Bamenda town only as much as we put into it. As one of our age old politicians once said, “Scratch ma back I scratch your own”.

Let’s talk greener pastures- how greener can it get elsewhere when we have a home with endless, unexplored, untouched possibilities. Projects our parents started that have all been abandoned. When a legacy passed down is broken at some point, the chain of growth is severed automatically.

The probably boring cliché “many hands do light work” suits this situation. It is rather sad that Bamenda youths living away from the town, have tried and are actually succeeding to change the image of “the Bamenda” in terms of our fashion style, social behavior and even professional achievements. It is now rare to hear the common slangs “le Bamenda” as an insult. We have succeeded in changing the image of our town from outside. We need to take this a step further; bringing that growth and positivity back home; change Bamenda from what it is now “a town of necessity” to a place to be. We should want, need and look forward to going back home. It should be our very own heaven. And we are to make it what we want it to be.

It is tough call to those who have settled in other parts of the world and even a tougher call for those of us who live in other towns in Cameroon – so close and yet the farthest. It all begins with that thought.

“Just think it and you‘ll definitely get it’’.  Rhonda Byrnes. The beloved Bamenda waits with open arms.

Simonie A. Achu-Mpondo.






No comments:

Post a Comment